Every good communication practitioner knows it’s crucial for your clients to stay ahead of the competition. To do this, we need to have a proactive approach towards communications strategies and know the next big thing for business, in social media and marketing. That next big thing is TikTok.
Since launching in 2016, TikTok has become one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. In September 2021, the app reported 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, making it one of the biggest social networks worldwide.
That potential exposure for your brand on the app is huge, and while those numbers may sound intimidating or that it’s already too late to jump on the hype – this isn’t the case.
Many businesses are now starting to understand that they are missing out on a potential audience as TikTok offers something unique compared to other social media channels – but is it worth it for your business?
In this blog, our Digital PR account manager Matthew Fraser shares his thoughts and tips about TikTok and how it can be used to reach a wider audience for your brand.
What is TikTok?
In essence, TikTok is a short-form, video-sharing app that allows users to create and share short second videos, on any topic.
Here are a few statistics that show the magnitude of TikTok.
- TikTok users spend more than 850 minutes per month on the app
- 3 billion app installations
- Available in 150+ countries
- Highest social media engagement rates per post
What are the benefits of TikTok for a business?
As one of the fastest-growing social media platforms, TikTok’s user base is growing rapidly and it’s quickly becoming a great opportunity for businesses to reach new, larger audiences. Below are some of the benefits your business could have by using the platform in your communications strategy.
- TikTok has a young, growing audience – with over 1 billion monthly active users, the platform is popular with teenagers and young adults. The rate of growth also means that it can provide access to a huge and influential audience.
- International reach – available in over 150+ countries, if your brand is looking to reach international markets then TikTok is an effective platform to do this with.
- Opportunity to utilise video marketing – if you are already engaging in video marketing across your existing social media channels then TikTok is another channel to expand your reach.
Is TikTok right for your business?
Now we know the benefits of TikTok, you must consider whether it is the right social media platform for your brand.
- TikTok audiences – while TikTok offers huge potential for an audience, you need to know if the people you are trying to target are using the platform. If they aren’t yet, then it’s important to know when to start using it. Most social media platforms start off with a predominantly younger audience, but over time their audiences diversify. If you start early on TikTok ahead of your competitors you can grow your audience before the platform becomes saturated.
- Creating TikTok content – while TikTok videos are pretty guerrilla in how they are created, most people just use a smartphone, you still need to be coming up with content that is engaging, fun and original. Some brands just can’t offer this type of content – you need to ensure that TikTok is in line with your business goals and strategy.
Can TikTok align with your wider communications strategy?
If you are interested in adding TikTok into your communications strategy you need to ensure that it aligns with your other marketing outputs.
As a brand you need to research the platform, understand how it works, and what your target audience and your competitors are doing on TikTok. By carrying out this research you can figure out the best content and hashtags that can work for your business.
Another way to align TikTok with your other social media channels is to review videos you are producing for Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn and explore ways that these can be repurposed for a TikTok audience.
By repurposing your content will be able to ensure that you are conveying the right messages across all your channels, you still need to maintain consistency with your brand messaging on TikTok that is across your other social media channels.
With the right planning, research and content TikTok offers a host of benefits and opportunities for brands to expand their audience and reach.
If you need PR, content or social support to help your brand launch on TikTok, feel free to get in touch with the team here.