Email marketing is a powerful tool and is a key component of many businesses’ content marketing strategies, and it’s no surprise with its remarkably high return on investment (ROI) and the backing of 59% of B2B marketers who say that email is their top channel for generating revenue. An email marketing agency can help with everything from email template design and copywriting to ongoing management and reporting.
But how much does specialised email marketing support actually cost? Let’s jump into the intricacies of email marketing agency pricing to demystify this essential aspect of a communications strategy.
What does an email marketing agency do?
An email marketing agency specialises in crafting and executing email campaigns that resonate with an audience and drive engagement and conversions. From designing compelling newsletters to strategising personalised drip campaigns, their expertise can significantly elevate a brand’s digital presence.
So, why use an email marketing agency?
Behind every successful email campaign is a team of skilled professionals. Marketing agencies employ copywriters, designers, and strategists who bring your campaigns to life.
From crafting compelling copy and designing eye-catching templates and visuals to managing subscriber lists and analysing campaign performance.
And of course, managing email marketing campaigns demands time, effort, and resources. By outsourcing these tasks to a specialised agency, businesses can redirect their focus to core operations.
Breaking down the costs
First things first, it varies widely. This is due to factors such as the size of your email list, the platform you use and how many emails you want to send out each month. The bigger your list and the higher the frequency of campaigns, the more it will cost.
An agency will always try and provide you with the most effective strategy based on your budget. As these are often bespoke to the business’s requirements, capabilities and their audience, it can be tricky to put a number on it straight away. However, here’s an overview of some of the factors that can impact the cost:
- Platform – which email marketing platform/tool you use will impact the cost. Each provider will have their own pricing model and different plans based on access to certain features and volume capacities
- Design – The amount of creative design required can also affect the cost. For example, if you need a bespoke design coding for each campaign, this will understandably cost more than the creation of one master template
- Reporting – not only would an agency charge more for more in-depth reporting and analysis, but lots of platforms also restrict some elements of their reporting features for those on higher-cost plans
- Data – email marketing can be generally split into two main areas of work: campaigns and data. If you need someone to help you monitor, process, and review your data as well as support the build of a campaign, this will increase the cost. While it may be more expensive you can rest easy knowing the experts are taking care of your data and ensuring you remain compliant
- Automation – if you require automation within your email journeys this can again affect the cost. Similar to reporting, some platforms charge extra for more advanced automation features
Agencies can either charge per hour, per project or on a retainer basis. If you’re looking for ongoing support, a retainer will likely be the more cost-effective solution and ensures that your activity and data support are continuous, building on past successes and learning opportunities to provide the best possible outcomes.
By understanding the factors that contribute to pricing, you’re better equipped to make informed decisions that align with your business aspirations.
Providing a clear brief of where you need support is always helpful to agencies when looking to provide a cost for your activity that suits your needs, budget and goals.
What should you invest in email marketing?
Viewing email marketing as an investment rather than a cost is crucial. Similar to any other investment, the returns can vary significantly.
But with it having the highest ROI of our marketing channels, it’s definitely worth considering as a key part of your marketing strategy.
A marketing agency can help with as much or as little as you’d like, they will work with you to determine a fee that fits your requirements and your budget!
If your business is interested in investing in the long-term success of its email marketing activity, talk to us today.